As some who prides themselves on speaking basic french, I must admit I had to Google this year’s Met Gala theme Comme des Garcons. Comme des Garcons means like boys and its founder the Japanese Rei Kawakubo is a visionary within fashion with her beautiful architectural pieces. What I loved that she was a minority and is still alive so she could remember this honor.
Over the years especially 2016, the Met Gala was a what I would describe a “hot ass mess”. There was no creativity and people were dressed as if they were going to a budget Oscars. I hate that people never stick to theme or even try but this year I found that people tried to stick to the theme and there were some new fresh faces on the red carpet which is always exciting.
MVP of the Night: Her name is Rihanna
The MVP of the night was the one and only Robyn freaking Fenty better known as Rihanna. Rihanna is my fashion icon and no one has convinced me otherwise. I love that she wore Fall 2016 Comme des Garcons. I love that she looked like a flower and was wearing way too much blush. What she wore is not the best she has looked on the red carpet but at least she tried. I don’t think she out did her 2015 Met Gala look but at least she trying too. Rihanna is one of the few people I literally wish was on every red carpet because her style is unpredictable and she is such a free spirit that she can literally shut it down like she did on Monday and in 2015.
Best Dressed other than Rihanna:
This was a hard one because I actually liked so many looks last night.
1. Zendaya Coleman in Dolce &Gabbanna : Zendaya like Rihanna always dress for the occasion and I love her wig game and she is super dope and collaborates so well with her stylist Law Roach.
2. Cara Delevigne in Chanel: Cara the model and actress always looks so impeccable and fresh. She is one of my favorites because her quirky personality always comes through. I love the silver hair thing.
3. Tracee Ellis Ross in Comme des Garcons: Tracee Ellis Ross made her Met Gala debut and absolutely killed it in Comme des Garcons. She is becoming one of my favourite fashionistas and does not mind taking risks. I love it and look forward to seeing her on other red carpets.
4. Ruth Negga in Valentino: I have this biggest crush on this woman. She is stunning and I feel like every time I see her she becomes more stunning. How dope is that!!! I love the dress and loved the cornrows even more. Tres chic!!!
5. Everyone in Calvin Klein but Gwenyth Paltrow: People made a big deal that Gwenyth Paltrow came after she declared she would never attend a Met Gala event. To be honest she should have just stayed out home because she was boring as hell in her Calvin Klein outfit. It is a no from me. Well everyone on else looked great not really theme appropriate. I love A$AP Rocky and Ashton Sanders. I love to see men enjoy and embrace fashion plus it was well-tailored. Julianne Moore looked super flirty and cute. I like Paris Jackson because she young and very much herself.
6. Solange in Thom Browne: It was different and very Solange plus she has great fashion instincts.
7. Rami Malek in Dior Homme : Red suits are typical scary and remind me of a pimp but Rami Malek looked chic and it well-tailored. I absolutely love the black flower detail.
8. Future in custom H & M: The hardest working artist in trap music Future looked chic and hot as he always does. Future has good taste in fashion and never puts a foot wrong whether on the red carpet or tour or his many music videos.
9. Migos in Versace : I love that they boujee , ratchet and I love their fashion aesthetic. In my opinion they always looked good and fashion forward. I mean hell I want to steal some of their looks.
10. Bella Hadid in Alexander Wang NY : I think as soon as people saw The Weeknd with Selena Gomez we all wondered what Bella was going to wear. From what I saw a lot of people thought she looked like a hot mess but I absolutely loved her Michelle Pfiffer -esque cat woman suit. It was ridiculous and hyper-sexual and she gave us a performance on the red carpet. The red nails were the icing on the cake. Bella came to prove something and I do not know if it worked but she looked fierce to me.
Ken & Barbie better known as Blake Lively in Atelier Versace and Ryan Reynolds in Tom Ford looked cute
Donald Glover in Burberry looked dope and shout out to his facial hair.
Gigi Hadid in Tommy Hilfiger looked nice and sort on theme.
Janelle Monae in Ralph and Russo looked like her usually sassy self.
Zoe Kravitz in Oscar de la Renta looked great and badass with that AMAZING pixie cut.
Helen Lasichah, Pharell’s wife, have won the meme game but she stuck to the theme.
The Bad & Oh so lazy:
Madonna looked terrible but I aspect that from her and her thirsty self.
- Selena Gomez in custom Coach: The best thing Selena Gomez did was bring her boyfriend because she looked so boring. Selena looked as if she was going to a garden party or a day wedding. The number one reason why she is on the worst dressed is because of the hype. The media over hype her because of the Instagram stuff and its exhausting because she never brings it to the red carpet. The crazy thing the dress is nice but not for this event. The make up was ridiculous and don’t get me started the shoes. If it was styled better maybe she could a bit edgier but for all the hype this was a no for me. She can do better but her and The Weeknd are too cute.
- Katy Perry in Maison Margiela: She tried and looked nice but I was not feeling it. Why is she so unlikable?!
- Nicki Minaj in H &M: Nicki Minaj is annoying the crap out of me and she desperately needs to fire her stylist. She is so far my worst dressed for 2017.
- Claire Danes in Monse : I have no clue what happened with Claire Danes this year. She was the MVP of last year’s Met Gala. Claire Danes is my worst dressed for the night. This weird Pirates of the Carribean thing was hideous.
- Karlie Kloss in Carolina Herrera: BORING!!!
- Jaden Smith scared the shit out of me by bringing his cut locs as his date. The thought process behind that is creepy and he looked like witch because of this.
- Kim “I’m a changed women” Kardashian West should have stayed at home with Kanye or brought her sister Kourtney. I just love Kourtney!!! She looked okay. I loved the make up and hair but she really should have sat this one out.
- Jenners girls: One needs to get a better wig and step up her wig game but looked fabulous in the Versace. The other basically wore a thong and she rocked the I am naked look.
- Amy “I’m not funny” Schumer and Lena Dunham looked nice even though I know for a fact Amy Schumer did her own hair. I hope they got all the black men’s attention since it means so much to them.
- Gisele and her husband are irritating and has she worn this dress before. They were also the co-chairs for the event. Step it up!!!
- Lupita in Prada , girl you are better than this.
- My hubby , Michael B Jordan, looked meh and needed another bowtie.
- I think the Met Gala should stop bring the models because they are the most boring on the red carpet year after year.
- Love Ashley Graham’s confidence.
- Diddy made my day by laying on the carpet oh so comfortably. I loved it!!!
This year’s Met Gala was better than most and at least people tried whether with make up. I appreciate that but that Rihanna reign just won’t let up at the Met Gala.